Monday, August 4, 2008

I'm "Divin' In"

God has been dealing with me lately regarding my relationship with Him. Through my devotions this past week or so, and through an incredible concert this past weekend, I realized that I am not as close to the Lord as I need to be. Let me explain…

As mentioned in a previous post, I read “My Utmost for His Highest”(MUFHH) almost every day. And, almost every day, the Lord uses it to encourage me or speak something else to my heart. Lately, I have been coming face to face with my own relationship with Jesus. As we are all aware, it is easy to get into a “rut” at times. In regards to my walk with the Lord, the “rut” sometimes looks like memorized prayers, reading for distance and not for depth, reading just to say that I read today, etc. I find myself being distracted and not spending quality time with Jesus, and I have been convicted about that in recent days through my readings in MUFHH.

Another conviction came to me loud and clear at an unbelievable concert Friday night. We were privileged to see Steven Curtis Chapman at the Biltmore House. For those who are not aware, Steven and his family have been through an unimaginable tragedy in the past 2 ½ months. Their little 5 year old daughter was tragically killed in May after being hit by a car in their driveway. Increasing the intensity of this tragedy was the fact that their precious son was driving the vehicle that accidently hit Maria. Many prayers have been lifted from my lips these past weeks on behalf of this family. So, to get to see Steven in one of his first concerts back on tour was a blessing. It was a night that I could not have even imagined, and I find it hard to even put into words. To see SCC on stage with such openness and vulnerability was an inspiration. To have a glimpse at his Faith in God was breathtaking.

As I listened to him share the deep struggle and the deep pain but the even deeper reassurance of Christ, my heart was pricked. My Faith was encouraged, and my desire to grow in my walk with Jesus was magnified. I realized that I need to go deeper with Christ. I need to be disciplined to spend more time with Him and to make that time quality time. Other things, even things that are good, need to take a back seat to my relationship with God. I want to know Him in a deeper way than ever before, to hear His voice, and to trust Him with everything. As I seek to do this, there will be distractions and temptations that will have to be overcome. But, I know that it will be worth it all.

I want others to see Jesus in me. I want God to use me and to continue to grow me as He reveals Himself through His Word. I want to fall in love with Him above all things.

3 comments:

Keith said...

WOW! What a post! I want you to know that I see the Jesus in you and as you grow deeper it encourages the same in me. I don't know if anyone could have described the SCC concert any better...you really captured it when you said that you saw the "even deeper reassurance of Christ"! SCC is a REAL man...the kind I want to be!
Thanks for the encouragement and wonderful post! I love you!
Keith

kalford said...

You and Keith certainly exude Jesus' love towards others, but i can't tell you how encouraged we are as a family to witness friends with such passion and desire to go even deeper in to His love and friendship...WOW!!!
Your transparency on this blog has and will touch many just as you spoke of SCC and his life being so open. We can never explain the total mystery of our awesome God, but we can certainly go deeper and reveal the tangible Kingdom we are so privileged to be a part of while welcoming others into the reconciliation process. Love to Dive...

BTW-did i ever tell you i would like to really learn how to scuba dive?
;-)

:..Rebekah..: said...

Hi Melissa! I realized that you have a blog when I was at Kristina's blog, so I thought I'd stop by for a visit. I hear your heart and share your desire to know Christ more deeply. Your post has been a blessing. Have a great weekend!